Faux Wax Seal Technique

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I've been a bit missing in action for the past couple of weeks, I'm getting new furniture for my craft room, which means everything had to packed away. I'm really struggling not having all my stuff, I have got a few bits and pieces out but most of it is in boxes, and it's just not the same!, you don't realise how much you'll miss it, until it's gone! 

Anyway I managed to put together a simple card for this weeks Artful Stampers Challenge, this week we have a theme: faux wax seal technique



Have you heard of the faux wax seal technique before? I used to do it a few years ago, but have since forgotten about it until this week, so I'm going to share with you how I do it, it won't be as deep as some, but it's the easiest and best way I found do it. 

But first let's see the card I made: 



A very simple card, but oh so effective! It even features a sneak peek of a new stamp set coming next month, can you spot it? 

How I put the card together: 

1. Cut an A4 piece of Crumb Cake in half at 14.8cm then fold in half 
2. Cut a piece of Affectionately Yours SDSP to 3-7/8" x 5-5/8", and adhere to the Crumb Cake card base
3. Cut a piece of Night of Navy cardstock to 1-1/2" x 3-7/8" and adhere to DSP 
4. Cut a piece of Watermelon Wonder cardstock to 1-3/4" x 3" and flag one end
5. Stamp your sentiment using Night of Navy ink onto the Watermelon Wonder flag
6. Wrap some Linen Thread around the Watermelon Wonder flag and attach on an angle with Dimensionals over the Night of Navy strip 
7. Attach your faux wax seal onto the Watermelon Wonder flag and Night of Navy strip with adhesive and a Dimensional, I slipped mine underneath the Linen Thread so it wasn't hiding it
8. That's all! and I hope that all makes sense! 

So how did I create the faux wax seal? 


What you'll need: 

Versamark
Embossing Powder
Heat Tool 
Stamp to make an impression with 
Scrap Cardstock 

1a. Stamp a circle with Versamark onto some scrap cardstock (I used one from the Swirly Bird stamp set) it helps if it's Photopolymer, that way you can keep lining it up. 
or 1b. Using the Versmark pad ink it directly to a piece of scrap cardstock 
2. Sprinkle your stamped area with embossing powder (I used gold)
3. Heat until all of the powder has melted
4. Repeat steps 1-3 another 5 times, let it cool slightly in between layers (I did about six layers) 
5. But, before heating your last layer, ink up the stamp with Versamark (The one your going to make an impression with) and leave it sitting on the pad. 
6. Now do steps 1-3 of your last layer, and once you have finished heating immediately pick up that inked impression stamp and press it into the melted powder, and let it sit there for 10-15 seconds
7. Lift the stamp off very carefully, and slowly, and now you have your impression, you can either cut it out and add it as an element or leave it as is! 
8. That's it! Very simple technique.

And that sneak peek of that new stamp set, It's called Thoughtful Branches, it will be ONLY be available for the month of August, so keep an eye out for more cards made using it! 

I hope you have enjoyed seeing this new technique, now it's time to hop along to Anna's Blog and see what she has created this week! 

And as always here is a list of this week's participants: 

Nicole Wilson -
Kathryn Carr ---------> YOU ARE HERE
Anna Foster

See you next time!

Kathryn x

Comments

  1. I'm so loving what everyone has come up with. Love the look of the leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! Your leaf wax seal is perfect! Looks like a golden embellishment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty & love the seal - looks like a punch out, you've done it so perfectly! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts